SQL Server Management Studio: Unable to read the list of previously registered servers on this system
I recently started having odd problems with SQL Server Management Studio on my work PC.
When I'd run it, I got the following exception, and I couldn't browse any SQL server instances.
Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.RegisteredServers.RegisteredServerException: Unable to read the list of previously registered servers on this system. Re-register your servers in the 'Registered Servers' window. ---> Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SfcSerializationException: Deserialization operation on /RegisteredServersStore/ServerGroup/CentralManagementServerGroup has failed. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Unable to generate a temporary class (result=1). error CS2001: Source file 'C:\Windows\TEMP\gb_pz65v.0.cs' could not be found error CS2008: No inputs specified
To fix this exception, I deleted my %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server folder. When I ran SQL Server Management Studio again, this exception was gone, but I had to re-register all of my servers.
Unfortunately, after that I get another exception:
Value cannot be null. Parameter name: viewInfo (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlStudio.Explorer)
However, at the same time, Visual Studio 2010 (well, actually ReSharper) started reporting the following:
Unable to generate a temporary class (result=1). error CS2001: Source file 'C:\Windows\TEMP\oaspyffw.0.cs' could not be found error CS2008: No inputs specified
...which is almost identical to the error that I was seeing from SSMS.
It appears that my %TEMP% environment variable is set incorrectly. If, on this machine, I go to Start / Run and enter %TEMP%, I get a UAC prompt. It looks like the variable's pointing to C:\Windows\Temp.
However, I can't figure out where it's set. The variable looks fine in PowerShell, but not in Command Prompt.
Light-bulb moment. Rebooting to check something.
Back from rebooting.
A couple of days ago, I "cleaned out" my %APPDATA%\Temp folder. It seems that I deleted a bit too much. Recreating the 2 subdirectory and rebooting, everything seems fine.
The clue was on the MS Connect site.